How to score 10A* in IGCSE (Part IV)

11. Finding your prime studying time




It is scientifically proven that everyone has an optimal hour where the mind & body is most productive. 

My tutor suggested that I attempt waking up at 4am to study on a daily basis to see if it works. Haha I was that desperate that I tried. About 1 month before my IGCSEs, I rose at 4am each day to study. During the initial few days, it was difficult (duh) but soon after, my body clock adjusted accordingly and I starting waking up at 4am daily even without the help of an alarm clock. 

Why is 4am a prime studying time?

At 4am, it is soothingly quiet. My pet peeve when studying is having too many distractions and background noise. I want it to be so quiet that I can only hear my own thoughts. Hence, studying at 4am was perfect for me. I literally finished twice as much during those 3 hours as compared to the rest of the day. 

Perhaps 4am isn't your prime time, that's perfectly fine as well. Experiment with times until you find one that suits your biological clock and adhere to it strictly. Consistency is key.



12. Finding your prime studying spot



I used to think that studying at one spot will irritate the heck outta me and cause me to become restless. 

While that is true, I cannot deny that studying at the same spot also provides me a feelings of comfort. On this note, I would like to reiterate the same quote from above, "consistency is key". 

Consistency is pattern, rhythm, familiarity, something that boosts productivity because your mind & body are so attuned to the same surroundings. 

My suggestion is for you to locate that ONE spot in your house that you find most conducive for studying and STICK to it. Also, make sure that the desk is clear of all distractions (phones, laptops, random papers).

Okay, so - 

How many of you become restless after studying for about 5 minutes and just can't. sit. still? 

*Punches my own hand into the air and waves it vigorously*

I, for one, have serious attention deficit HAHA that causes my mind to wander and never return. Before you know it, boom, an hour has passed. 

Solutions?

Easy, since I was so restless, I allowed myself to pace around the room, holding the book and reciting out loud to myself. 

I also drank coffee before doing that, so I was like a turbo race car zooming around the room, pacing back and forth and generally talking animatedly to myself, reciting facts & figures out loud.

I'm normal I swear :p

Tbh I've done weirder things during my homeschooling period, it's the isolation guys :-)



13. Eat properly



The junk food frenzy is real during exam period. I, for one, eat almost twice as much during the exam period. It doesn't help that I was homeschooling, with the fridge in close proximity causing me to make food runs every 15 minutes. 

Once again, it is scientifically proven that studying makes a person hungrier faster as one's brain juices flow more and more glucose is needed for the body to supply sufficient energy to the brain muscles. 

^ That's me talking crap, I cannot vouch for whether this is true.

But what IS definitely true is the hungry part. 

Now, I'm not advising you to NOT eat because our brain and body have needs & cravings that have to be satiated. 

Instead, I'm advising you to eat healthily and not indulge too much in junk food and fast food. 

I don't think I need to explain to you the WHY, I mean, y'all are smart cookies.

But I need to explain the WHAT, which is WHAT should we eat then?

For me, since I have the urge to eat every 15 minutes, I allow myself to have fruits, vegetables, yoghurt & chocolate only. My favourite fruit is apples, so I would grab one from the fridge every half an hour. There's always a box of cut up cucumber slices in the fridge, so I'd take a couple every 15 minutes.

You know, it's not even cravings anymore, it's just a habitual thing. Like, I don't know whether I was actually hungry, but I just wanted to eat. 

Okay, that's not really healthy, but yeah, heathy food is the way to go. DO NOT stock up on junk food because YOU WILL EAT THEM ALL & YOU WILL HATE YOURSELF.

:') 


That's the end of part IV, WOOHOO I'm pretty amazed that I've managed to make it this far. If you do find this series helpful, do leave some comments below. It'll make my day :-)

Cheers,

Jie Fei


Check out the entire series:









Comments

  1. Hey
    You're the most relatable person I've met. Lik seriously wtf SAAAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE gurl waddap
    Thanks alot im glad i found your blog. I also stalked your twitter to a rather unhealthy extent. My name's Danielle and i live in Penang hi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle! Sorry for the 1 year late reply, I am clearly rubbish at this. Thanks so much I'm glad you found this blog too ^^ I'm jie fei and I live in kl waddup

      Delete
  2. Please teach me to be like you sensei.
    ~Cheesy Nachos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Komsas Tingkatan 4: Antologi Jaket Kulit Kijang Dari Istanbul

Novel Tingkatan 5 : Novel Tirani

Tajuk-tajuk Karangan